Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/riverski/public_html/eng/wp-content/themes/delegate/functions/admin-hooks.php on line 160

Our Destinations

Viminacium

The military camp at Viminacium certainly came into existence when the Roman Empire spread to the Balkans, probably during the early decades of the 1st century AD when the Romans first reached the Danube. The discovery of a Celtic necropolis at the “Pećine” site at Viminacium clearly attests to its beginnings on the territory of the Celtic Scordisci. The size and importance of the base originated from a number of factors, among which should certainly be mentioned the rich agricultural hinterland in the Mlava River valley where Viminacium is situated and its important strategic location within the defensive system of the northern frontier of the Empire and also in regional communications and trade networks.
Also important was the location of the legionary camp, and later the city, at a junction of roads linking the northern part of the Balkan peninsula with other parts of the Empire in all directions. One road led south in the Balkan Peninsula through Moesia Superior towards Macedonia and Greece.
A second road, starting in Pannonia, extended along the Danube to the mouth of the river at the Black Sea. Another road connected Viminacium to the north with the Roman province of Dacia through the neighboring camp at Lederata, the modern village of Ram.
Although the primary function of these roads was military and strategic in nature, they were also in constant use by commercial travelers c throughout antiquity and certainly contributed to Viminacium’s role as a prosperous trading and manufacturing center.

The reputation of the cultural richness of Viminacium has drawn the attention of not only the domestic but also the international public, who eagerly anticipate that Viminacium will take its rightful place in the first rank of the world’s cultural monuments. It is our expressed intention to uncover this city which has been buried for centuries, to explore it in detail and to interpret the remains for the general public. We sincerely hope that in the years to come Viminacium will become a distinguished symbol of Kostolac and its region and a significant part of the world’s cultural heritage.


Đerdap

The biggest and the most beautiful gorge of Europe, an unique natural environment in the lower course of Danube, a national park. The gorge is about 62,137 st. ml. long, it cuts the carpathian mountain chain between the panonic basin to the west and the vallachian – pontish basin to the east. It extends from Golubac, along the upper gorge, over the Ljupskovska ravine, Gospođin vir, the ravine of Donji Milanovac to Kazan (the big and the small Kazan). The right bank of Danube, in the Đerdap’s gorge, abounds in cultural and historical sights. It is also the place where the unique preneolit culture of Lepenski Vir originates, with the oldest sacral architecture and monumental sculpture of Europe (VI – V milenium B.C.). Đerdap was of a big importance, while it presented the northern border of the Roman Empire. Since the beginning of the I century, in its rocks, roads were engraved, fortresses and settlements were built. The way through Kazan was built in the years 99. – 103., during the reign of emperor Traian. Also nowadays, the Trajan’s board, which was originally put 1,64 yd. over the roman road, bears witness to this fact. Due to the accumulating lake, the board had to be raised at a higher level, to avoid its overfloating, together with the major part of the road.
 


Lepenski Vir

The archeological locality “Lepenski Vir” is a cultural monument, located in Gospođin vir, in frame of the Đerdap’s gorge. It lasted from 5800. – 4300. B.C., in frame of nine successively built settlements with mountainlike built homesites, graves, shrines and artistically processed objects of a unique fine artistic expression. The architecture and the culture of Lepenski Vir is worldwide famous, it presents the highest cultural reach of the middle stone age, that means of the transitional period between the palaeolithic and the neolithic epoch. The sculptures from the locality “Lepenski Vir” nowadays present in Europe the oldest monumental stone plastics


Golubac

Due to its geographic position and the importance which Danube had through the history, Golubac was, since long ago, interesting for many conquerors. On the place of the today’s settlement, the Romans built, in the first century A.D., a fortress (Vicus Cupae), to protect the northern border of the empire. About the year 299. emperor Diocletian resided there. The Huns destroyed the town, but it was renewed during the reign of emperor Justinian. For several centuries, the region of Golubac was the battlefield of permanent conflicts between Byzantium, Hungarians and Serbs. It comes under Serbian rule during the reign of king Dragutin. The medieval town Golubac was also built in these tumultuous war times. The first written trace about the construction of the town, on the steep cliff beside Danube, dates from the year 1335. Golubac frequently changed its rulers in the Middle Ages (Serbs, Hungarians, Turks, Bulgarians). There are several legends regarding the origin of the town name. The most spread is the one which tells us about the beautiful princess Golubina. She rejected the courting of the Turkish pasha and that’s why she was left on a rock in the Danube, where she died. Another legend says that on this region there were many pigeons (on serbian “golub” means pigeon), and herewith it explains the origin of the name “Golubac”. “Pigeon” makes the base of the town name “Golubac” in many peoples languages (Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, Latin, Serbian). That’s why a pigeon is the symbol of the town and it can be seen on the coat of arms of the municipality.


Smederevo

Trying to rescue the medieval Serbian state from the Turkish conquering, despot (title of Serbian rulers after the Kosovo battle) Đurađ Branković built, in the twentieth years of the XV century, the big town Smederevo, at the mouth of Jezava and Danube, the biggest prairie fortress in Europe untill today. In this way, Smederevo becomes the capital city, but also the last Serbian medieval capital. The plans for the fortress were drawn up by Toma Kantakuzen, the brother of the despot’s wife Jerina, who built the city in the Byzantine style. The fortress was a rampart against the Turkish conquering not only of Serbia, but also of Europe. It was in Smederevo, where Sir Stefan Srbin (Stephan the Serb) wrote one of the most beautiful Serbian medieval melodies “Ninja Sili”.

At Đurađ’s court, 24 books were written. Life was sumptuous, rich, trading has been made with the inhabitants of Dubrovnik, with Greeks, Latins…and what could not be managed by the army, was done by the treason. The Turks captured Smederevo by betrayal, and since then untill Karađorđe and the I Serbian uprising, this city lives a life of an insignificant Turkish provincial town.
These old ramparts underwent a serious damaging in the world war II, on june the 5th 1941., by the explosion of german ammunition which was stored there. The ramparts of Đurađ’s fortress were saving the town Smederevo from a complete destroying. Since then, this town has no gate – the always open Smederevo – as one song says.


Sremski Karlovci

Sremski Karlovci is a town of our culture and spirituality, a town where the bells ring like in Florence, where the latin language is still being learned, where You can still notice dignified politeness, where people still take a rest in front of their houses, where cordiality and hospitality reign. Karlovci is an example how touching and pervading of two dominant european cultures, the west and the east, can create a new quality, in an aesthetic and spiritual sense. In written sources, it was at first being mentioned in the year 1308., as a castle with the name “Kar”. The town frequently changed its owners, mainly Hungarian lords. The most famous was the family Batory which ruled Karlovci untill the arrival of Turks to these regions. After the Turks left, Karlovci was devastated, but, thanks to its richness, it recovered very fast and it became soon the spiritual, cultural and educational centre of the serbian nation in frame of the Habsburg monarchy. Since the year 1713., the Serbian orthodox metropolitan’s residence was located here, and already in the year 1726., due to the efforts of the metropolitan Mojsije Petrović, the first secondary school was established in the town, the so called “Pokrovobogorodična”. August the 28th 1734. is considered the day of establishing the modern serbian theatre, by making the first serbian theatre performance, under the name “Tragicomedy about the death of the last serbian emperor Uroš Peti (Uroš the fifth). In the year 1749., a new orthodox cathedral building was constructed. It’s the beginning of the first masterpieces of the serbian baroque, like the iconostasis which was done by the painters Theodor Craciun and Jacob Orphelin. In the year 1791., the first Serbian high school was established, and quite soon, 1794. the metropolitan Stefan Stratimirović founded also the seminary which had, for a certain period, the level of a theological faculty. During the bourgeois revolution, a May gathering was taking place in Karlovci, on May the 13th 1848. , where it was decided to declare the regions of Srem, Bačka, Baranja and Banat to be the “autonomous Serbian dukedom” (in Serbian “vojvodstvo” means dukedom), and since then, this region of our country carries the name “Vojvodina”. Stevan Šupljikac was appointed for the duke, and Đorđe Stratimirović for the commander of the National army. The metropolitan’s residence in Karlovci obtained the higher status of a patriarchate, and Josif Rajačić was appointed for the patriarch. At the end of the 19.-th century, the town slowly gets the today’s appearance. By that time, the patriarchate court was built, also the theological seminary, the boarding school Stefaneum – which is today the Institute of the serbian people.
In Karlovci, great attention and inclination is paid toward one of the most successful students of their high school, the Serbian romantic poet Branko Radičević.
From the 18.-th century, viticulture is the main economy branch in this region. According to old writings, citizens of Karlovci always were great winegrowers, and there always was a clear difference between them and others, looking at the tilled vineyard and the cutting of the grapevine plant.
Let’s finish the story about the vineyards and the walk through Karlovci with the verses of Branko Radičević:

Oh, harvest, it is You I want so badly,
What is so sweet in this world, looking so sadly,
That’s from the bottom of my heart, what I honestly mean,
What else has the poor man untill now seen?


The Petrovaradin fortress

On the right bank on the Danube, opposite Novi Sad, at the site of an ancient Neolithic settlement and then, in turn, the Roman, Byzantine and Hungarian fortification that was taken by the Turks in 1526. The Austrians, after having taken it in 1687, built in 18th century a new Petrovaradin Fortress after the model of Sebastien Vauban, turning it into the “Danubian Gibraltar”. While the construction was underway, in 1716, a battle took place near Petrovaradin in witch the Austrian army led by prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Turks. The new, large fortress was completed during the reign of Maria Theresa (1754 – 1766). A garrison of the Austrian army was stationed in the fortress until 1918. It served as a prison, as well. Among its inmates were the Serbian educator Vasa Pelagic (1833 – 1899), the Croatian man of letters Antun Gustav Matos and the young Josip Broz (1914). Karadjordje was also imprisoned there in 1813, in officers’ pavilion, after having fled from Serbia following the defeat in the First Serbian Uprising. The renewed and adapted fortress has become a tourist attraction, a catering and cultural facility. The 18th century gunnery houses the Novi Sad Museum with its rich archaeological, historical, ethnographic and numismatic collections.


Zrenjanin

Bečkerek, Petrovgrad, Zrenjanin, čega tu više nema?

Bečkerek, Petrovgrad, Zrenjanin, is there anything else?
Already for centuries, Zrenjanin has been a multinational milieu, a kind of a national, linguistic, confessional Babylon. About twenty different ethnic groups live there today and each of them has the possibility to pray to its own god. Almost all the churches in the town were built in the 18.-th and 19.-th century, in the spirit of confessional tolerance, and they are just a few hundred meters far from each other, in the diameter. The oldest town church is the orthodox temple which is dedicated to the assumption of God mother. The interior paintings were performed by the painters from Bečkerek (Zrenjanin) Georgije and Dimitrije Popović. The other orthodox church in the city is the Vavedenska from the year 1777., also in the period of Maria Theresia, in the spirit of classicism. It owns several valuable icons from the 18.-th century. In its immediate vicinity, there is the chapel of Saint Raphael, a monk from the monastery Hilandar who was, already for his life time, proclaimed a miracle man. The roman catholic cathedral on the main town square in Zrenjanin was built in the year 1868. The interior of the catholic church, a work of the architect Stevan Đorđević, constructed in a neo-romantic style, was painted out by Joseph Geugner. It owns an excellent organ from the year 1807., of the workshop “Wegenstein Lipot and the sons”. This church – cathedral was also opened for concerts of religious, spiritual music of well-known choruses of Zrenjanin.
This parish church is dedicated to Saint Ivan Nepomuk. In the most beautiful and maintained environment of the old town nucleus, there is the Reformation church of the architect Zaborecki, from the year 1891., built in the neo-gothic style. The slim, unpretentious building, with its elegancy, persistently reminds of the measure which comes from a good taste. The main street represents a separate space of the maintained old core of the former Big Bečkerek, now Zrenjanin, and this part of the town is inhabited since the 14.-th century. If we had some miraculous power to gather, in the main street of Zrenjanin, all the famous and important people who resided there, even for a short time, through different epochs, among others, we would find Mehmed Paša Sokolović, despot Stefan Lazarević, than Eugen Savojski, ban (governor of a „banovina”) Josip Jelačić, Maria Theresia, count Marcy, Constantin Danile, Dositej Obradović, Đura Jakšić, Svetozar Miletić, Mihajlo Pupin, Uroš Predić…
By digging through the DTD (Danube – Tisa – Danube) channel, right through the center, the city on Begej became a city on two rivers, and, in the direct environment, there are also Tisa, Tamiš, Stara Tisa (Old Tisa), Stari Begej (Old Begej), so that Zrenjanin is located on a most dense water flow network in our country. In the town, there are already nine bridges, that’s why some inspired feather called the town “The banatian Venice”.

Carska bara ( Emperor’s swamp) Near Zrenjanin, beside Ečka, there is the best-known Serbian fish pond and a natural birds preserve – Carska bara. The origin of the name is related to the Austrian heir to the throne Ferdinand, by the way, a passionate hunter, better known as the victim of the assassination in Sarajevo, who liked to spend some time there. Today this is a protected, naturalistic complex of birds’ empire – ornitofaune. From 310 known bird kinds in Vojvodina, even 295 live here.